Children come into Willow Grove at any time during their school career and at any time during the term. Assessment and the use of existing information is vital in ensuring that the children are taught effectively and that gaps in learning are addressed.
The curriculum at Willow Grove is enhanced in the following ways:
- A theme based curriculum
- A whole school attachment and trauma friendly approaches and strategies
- Daily PSHE lessons and the Jigsaw scheme of work
- Access to Play Therapy and class based Positive Play
- Access to the School Counselling Project
- A developing Theraplay whole school offer
- Offer of support from our experienced Family Partnership Team
- Explicit teaching of social situations, such as meal times, play times and less structured times
- The use of Theme weeks and days of study throughout the year
- On going development in the use of data to support the emotion development of children
- An additional physical education offer to support the physical co-ordination and the development of core body strength
- Close work and support from a speech and language therapist to ensure we provide a communication friendly environment
- All children are offered the chance to take part in all aspects of school life
- Increased access to Paediatric services
RE is taught across the school; it has been adapted from the Wigan Borough Scheme of work and tailored to suit the needs of the pupils in our school.
The main reading scheme used in school is Oxford Reading Tree but this is supplemented with a wide range of other reading schemes to ensure that children are engaged with the reading process and are given materials which will motivate them.